Sun. Jan. 30, 2010
Greetings!! I need to apologize to you all, for not getting this written sooner. I got the call from the dermatologist, on Wed. afternoon, of the 19, and the results were positive. It threw me, and I didn't know it at the time, to what extent, but it opened up some stuff that I've had to deal with. But that's not all that I've gotten calls about. Depression has tried to cause problems for me, but I've been able to recognize it, and not give into it. I got the call from the clinic, saying Kenn has what is known as a common skin cancer, called basal cell carcinoma. It's not contagious, or it don't usually spread. Everything that's coming at me, has made me do some looking deep within myself. Just after I got the call, I lost it to tears, because I was believing it would be negative, and we'd be done with it, and just go on with life. I was to have a dance lesson, about an hour after getting the results, but that didn't happen, because I was still dealing with emotions that caught me so off guard. I was told in the call, that I had two choices. Either I could just let it be, and not do a thing about it, which means, it would heal up, and then come back as a sore. It would continue that way the rest of his life. She said some people never get it taken care of. Or, I could set up an appointment, where they would give him a shot to deaden the area, then take a thin layer off, and go have it tested to see if they got all the cancer cells. They would keep taking thin layers, and go test them until they came up with no cancer cells in the layer of skin, when tested. I was told to plan for him to be there any where from 2 hours up to 6 hours, depending on how many layers it takes. There will be others there having the same procedure done, so he won't be the only one. So that also meant, I had to talk to each of our 3 kids, and explain to them about the procedure. They each agreed I should get it taken care of instead of letting it go. I also called each of his sisters, and brother, to let them know what was happening, so that they wouldn't hear it some other way. Also, then if they had any questions, they could ask them, and I wanted them to hear the whole story. I also called my mom, to let her, and my dad know. She had a few questions, so I was able to answer them, and so they knew specifically how to pray. By the time, my Bible study started at 6p.m., that night, I was able to control my emotions again. During the study, I got a call from the RN, where Kenn is at. She left me a message to call her. She told me when I called, that they were going to continue the treatment to Kenn's bed sore that had been healed for about a week, which I didn't even know that he had. They failed to let me know about that, which didn't make me real happy. I haven't gotten a call from an RN for quite a few months. But what's really interesting, when it rains it pours, so the saying goes. Then on the following night, Thurs. I was in a meeting for the praise team, when I get a call again from the RN, asking me to call her. So when I got out to the van, I called her. She preceded to tell me, they think Kenn might have been having a very slight seizure, because his mouth was twitching, and his head was turned to one side, so they had to give him the extra meds to make sure it didn't continue. I just couldn't believe 2 nights in a row, I got a call from the nurse. I can't remember the last time I got a call 2 nights in a row from a nurse. Now to me, that seems a little bizarre, to get the report in the afternoon, then that night, get a call from the nurse, but then the next night, get a call again. All within 2 days. I didn't tell the nurses anything about Kenn's cancer, until a week ago today, when I went to visit him. See, I wanted to tell him first, in case, the ones working with him just happened to say something about it, when they were working with him. Then I told the nurse Barb, about him having skin cancer, so she was going to give it in report, that night. She thought I did the right procedure, in telling Kenn, before the nurses. In talking with Barb, I told of how there's been a lack of communication on their part there. She agreed, that I need to talk to the social worker about it, because that's just not right that I be treated that way. So I need to talk to the social worker, but I've just put it off this past week, because I couldn't deal with it. Fri., I finally did call the clinic, and set up an appointment towards the end of Feb. Now tomorrow, I need to call Clearview, and talk to the transportation person, to find out if the date will work. I also need to find out if the driver will be staying at the clinic, or go back being we don't know, just how long it will take. I also, have to set up someone, to come and do back up for my daycare kids. So Feb. will be an interesting month. When I told someone, that I had finally set up the appointment, they said they knew I'd do it, when I was ready to deal with it. I hadn't had a dance lesson for 2 weeks, until Wed. At my lesson, my instructor, and I were talking about different things, while dancing. Towards the end of the lesson, he said, he really enjoys the lessons with me, and they are good therapy sessions for him, because I make him see things in a different way than what he does, and he needs that. He's willing to work with me on doing some dances, at the studio during a Fri. night dance, if I have some people who want to come and watch. I have gotten a newsletter from the Brain Injury Assoc. in Milwaukee area, asking for WI stories about brain injury to put into a book. They want to get copies to educate people such as professionals in the fields that work with brain injury; as well as, to those who impact government programming , and funding for brain injury services. They say the purpose of this book is to personalize brain injury. There is still a great need for awareness of this "silent epidemic", as well as for programs to meet the life long needs that still remain unmet, and underfunded. I asked a few people, if this is the season for me to start writing down what I've gone through since the accident. Someone told me that I've been kind of doing that all along. But this would mean, I would be going into more depth, and opening up some things. Thurs. night, my thoughts tried having me relive the accident and get into emotions when I was trying to go to sleep. But, I'm feeling that it's time, to get my story out there too. I have had my home phone disconnected, in order to save, and because of not using it much. So if you want to contact me, you can call 608-843-9635, or you can email me at winrichc@netscape.net. So I just ask you, to continue keeping me up in prayer, because I know prayer works. Thank you. God bless.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home