Thurs. May 3, 2007
Life has been very hectic around here as many of you know and I'm sure it is for you as well.
I've had people ask me how many RN's are available during the shifts to help if there is an
emergency. There is one available for the whole building which has 4 wings and about 20
residents to each wing so if the RN is helping someone and there is another emergency then
it can create quite a problem. There is an LPN for each wing to administer each resident's
regular meds. Some have thought he would get much better medical care at a nursing home
than say a group home but that's not necessarily true because someone is not in his room for
2 hours or more because of having so many other residents to care for. I know this is a fact
because I see this when I visit him and in talking to other family members who have a loved
one there they say the same thing. So if someone has something like a seizure or a breathing
problem it could go undetected for a length of time. I've been getting Kenn outside as much
as possible when I'm there to visit even if he's sleepy during my visit. I've been there 2 or 3
times each week. On Tues. night when I was there he was very alert most of my visit. I was
talking to him about Shawn and was he looking intently at me. He was moving his tongue
and making a noise as though he was trying to tell me something. He kept making this noise
and looking at me for quite some time same as he did the first August that he had said, "My
motor" for his motorcycle. The nurse Christine witnessed this and remarked at it. The RN
called me last night to let me know that they were taking a drug away because I've talked to
them about getting him off ones that he doesn't need. No storming lately which is good. His
left big toe is loosing the nail which I think it got hit when someone was moving him around
when he has been in his chair because he doesn't wear shoes and his feet stick out beyond the
foot pedals at times. It's the only thing that makes sense because they don't know how all of a
sudden it became black looking. He is staying healthy. He swallows great when I feed him some water when I'm there.
As for my dance it's still going great. My fox trot routine is getting better and now I'm working
more on technique and style. They are amazed at how fast I seem to be picking up the steps.
More techniques are being added to make it more challenging. I'm also attending the intermediate dance group class on Mon. nights instead of the beginners class on Tues. night which is alittle more challenging too. Russell will be running a race this month to raise some
money to go into the accident fund so that when extra things come up like getting the dead elm
tree south of the house cut down I can get it done. God is good and working things out for His
glory. Thanks for the prayers.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home