Tues. Aug. 3, 2010
Greetings to you all!! Hard to believe in less than a month school starts for kids. Sat. morning, I talked with a nurse to find out what's happening with Kenn. His sore has healed, so they are getting him up more. No I didn't call the social worker. I talked it over with someone, and they said I had 2 options. One was, to bring Kenn home, which they said really isn't an option right? I said not really. The other was, to just let it be, since I had talked to the head nurse, because talking to the social worker about Kenn being in bed 20 hours, could cause some problems with his daily care. They agreed I don't want to make too many waves with his care, so they suggested I just let it be, and let God be God, so that's just what I did. They told me that I did my part by talking to the head nurse, and let her know of my concerns, that was all I should do. I was told now they are getting him up just shortly after breakfast, and taking him out to the sun room, where there are activities going on at times. Just before lunch, they put him back into bed, for a nap. After lunch they get him up again, to put him in the recliner in the sun room. Then just before supper, they put him back into his chair, and sometimes they set him behind the nurse's station, to watch TV. Then early evening, he's back to bed for the night. I was so happy, and relieved to hear this. It really bothered me knowing he was in his room so much by himself. It's not healthy for a normal person, say nothing about having suffered a brain injury, and needing the stimulation of being around people more. Fri. night I was really struggling to stay focused, because my thoughts were trying to mess me up, and throw me into emotions. I cried out to God to keep me focused, and to give me strength to get through it. God directed me to listen to a message by Pastor, on a CD called, "Steadfastness in the Scriptures," which helped. Any ways, God is so gracious to help me. I'm victorious, and life goes on. Sat. our church sponsored a bouncy house at the Atwood Fest on Atwood Ave. as a fundraiser. I was at the end of the bouncy house. It was an honor and a privilege to be able to help. I got to talk with a lot of nice people. I was there about 8 hours, and exhausted when I was done. Sun. evening, I went to visit Kenn. He was up in his chair behind the nurse's station, when I got there. I took him outside for a walk. He listened to a message on CD, and I gave him some water, which he swallows fine. I tried to do a movement with Kenn, that I read in a book called, "Brain Gym." The book is on some things for you to do with a person who has something like autism, attention deficits, etc. or even a brain injury. The movement is where you take the leg to the opposite arm or elbow. Now, you need to picture this to get the full effect. I took my left hand under Kenn's right knee, and tried lifting it to his left arm. My right hand was trying to bring Kenn's left arm or elbow to his right knee. Remember he's kind of stiff, and doesn't bend real easy. Kenn started smiling at me. He must have thought lady, you have really lost it, the way you are struggling to get my arm, and leg to cooperate with you. When I took his left hand splint off, I had him squeeze my left hand, that he was holding, which he did do some. When I took him back to his room, and the CNA's came in to get him ready for bed, I told them about him smiling at what I was trying to do, and he smiled again, so they got to see it too. One of them said he must have really thought it was funny, for him to be smiling again, when I was telling about it. When anyone asks the boys how their dad is, they keep saying he's the same, but he's not. They don't spend any time with him, so they don't see him doing any responding, so he hasn't changed in their eyes. They don't really spend time talking to him when they help pick him up, or take him back to Clearview, so to them he just sits there. Esther will even tell you, that her dad is not the same, because he is responding more. She sees it when she spends time with him. Last night, I went to my Zumba class, in McFarland, and I met a friend from the aerobics class Joe had at Ford's Gym. She was saying she's been dealing with depression, and some other things. She said she's been to many counselors, and that they really don't seem to help. I've been talking to her about some of the counseling I've been getting from Pastor, and his wife, and she said she needs someone like that. Down the road she'd like to talk with Pastor, and his wife. She's so amazed at how well I'm handling everything that I deal with. She advised me not to go to any counselor, because they won't give me as good counseling as I seem to be getting. I told her, that different people have suggested I should see a counselor, therapist, or whatever their title may be. She advised me not to sit at home, like some have told me that I need to be home more, and deal with things. She told me if I was home more, I would have more of a chance of dealing with depression, and other things. She had a brother with a brain injury, so she has some idea of what I deal with, and go through by trying to stay on top of things. She said she's even considered taking some dance lessons down the road. It's great to see how God is using me in different people's lives to be an inspiration. To God be the glory. Dance lessons are going great. I'm back to working on the different ballroom dances, and perfecting some of the techniques for them. So I'm not just working on the waltz, but a variety of them. God bless.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home