Mon. Aug. 23, 2010
Well, this is my second attempt at an update. I lost the first update that was part way done, which is frustrating. I keep hearing that family members, when they get asked how Kenn is doing, they tell people he's the same. It's frustrating, for me to hear this, because he is NOT THE SAME. He's responding MORE NOW than he was 1 year ago, or even 6 months ago. Obviously, they aren't reading the updates to see how he's responding, or they don't see him enough for him to respond to them. The CNA's are even saying, that they see him responding more now than he used to. So, if you hear a family member saying that Kenn is the same, please for me, tell them no he's not. Tell them to read the updates to get the facts of how he's responding, because it's not to just me that he's responding, because then they can be better educated about him. Esther sees it, because she's there quite abit, and talks to her dad about what is going on. The nurses see it. A week ago tonight, I went to the brain injured support meeting, across the street from Kenn, to hear Dr. Mickey speak. I think it has been about 1 year since the last time I went to one. Laura, who used to be Kenn's case worker, was so happy to see us. She's emailed me a few times to see how things are going. Esther, and her 2 kids went with me. I had called ahead to make sure they would have Kenn up when we got there, but I found him still in bed, which was frustrating, because we were planning to take him across with us to the meeting. We only had about 15 minutes before the meeting would start at 6, and it took at least 10 of that to get him up, so we were late for it. Esther, her kids, and Kenn, sat in a lounge on the brain injury wing, because the room was so full by the time we got there, and the meeting had started. Did I get a slap of reality at the meeting. It was hard to sit there with emotions trying to take over, and also to stay in faith believing for his healing, while hearing all the stuff about recovery. But, God is good, because He gave me the strength to endure it. I talked to Dr. Mickey after the meeting about getting a CAT scan done on Kenn, since he's responding more now. He thought it might be a good idea, and then compare it to those taken years ago. In Oct. when Kenn has his yearly physical with Dr. Ward, I'll ask him to recommend getting one done. Kenn was drooling quite abit, which I don't know if I've seen him do this before. When I was cleaning out his mouth, he did cough up a lot of stuff, and it seemed to stop his drooling. He was alert. We were there for about 5 hours., because we didn't leave until after 10:30. A CNA told us how Kenn responded to her, and another CNA when they were putting him to bed, the night I told them how Kenn smiled at me struggling to get his left arm to touch his right leg. When they were putting him to bed, she started talking to him about having a great wife who comes to visit him so much, and having a great family, etc. While she was talking to him, he was following her with moving his head, and not just moving his eyes like he usually does. She said he moved his whole head to follow. Same way when the other CNA talked to him, he did the same response. She said they see him smile a little, but he doesn't respond to them anything like he does for us. I just praise God for him responding more. I don't care who he responds to, as long as he does respond. Desiree is 8 months old today. Where is the time going?? I will be writing about my visit to Kenn on Fri. night, as soon as I can. God bless.
Labels: .
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home