Sun. July 25, 2010
Greetings everyone!! WOW!! What a busy weekend. Thurs. night I did some baking for a bake sale Fri. for our church. Fri. I spent part of the day with Esther, and her 2 kids. Sat. morning, I had to quick bake some brownies for the second day of the bake sale. Also, make potato salad for the church picnic, that I was at most of the afternoon. Esther was at the picnic with her 2 kids for awhile, so I ran around playing, and climbing with Mason on the equipment. Sat. night I was so exhausted, but I still peeled the potatoes, and cooked them to make another potato salad for the picnic this afternoon, with my sisters, parents, nieces, and nephews. Some of my family I only see this one time each year that we get together. Then Esther, and her 2 kids, came here to the house for awhile, because Mason wasn't ready to go home yet, and he wanted to play some games with Grandma. So now I'm really tired, and glad everyone went home. Jeremy went camping with some of his friends, so he left in the morning yesterday, borrowing my van. He'll be back sometime Mon. late afternoon, or evening. I went to visit Kenn, last Sat. the 17, early evening. Every time I visit Kenn, it seems to be so emotional on so many different levels. When I arrived there a week ago yesterday, I was surprised to find him still in bed at 5p.m., which is so unusual, because usually I would find him sitting in his chair some where. I couldn't figure out what was going on. They have been putting him in bed afternoons for a nap about 1p.m., and then getting him up about 3:30, so that's why I was surprised to see him in bed. The new temporary nurse told me they were leaving him in bed, because they thought I would be coming, then they would get him up. I told her they don't usually don't do that. It took about an hour before they came to get him up, so during that time I either had to sit in his wheelchair or on his bed, because there are no chairs in his room. If I hadn't shown up, whose to say they would have even gotten him up, because I heard that a CNA was going to go in and change his position, but he wasn't there, because he was with me. It makes me wonder how many times do they just leave him in bed, because he can't talk, or do anything about it, and it's easier. I took him outside even though it was humid, and warm. He sat listening intently to Pastor's message. When I was talking to him, he had a couple of tears run down his left cheek. I also took off his left hand splint, to massage it. I held his left hand in my hand, then I told him to squeeze my hand, which he did. He kept doing it every so often, even without me telling him to do it. He'd relax his hand, then squeeze my hand again. He sat there watching me, while he was doing this. I told him, that I was so proud of him. When I took him back up to his floor, I told the CNA's sitting at the nurse's station. They were glad to hear he was responding this way, and one said you can get him to do more than we can. The look he gives me when I have to leave, just tears me apart. He does a big frown, and he looks like he's about ready to cry. I can tell he just doesn't want me to leave him, which makes it so hard, and so that produces tears for me. Fri. the 23, Desiree turned 7 months, and Esther, and her 2 kids went with me to visit her dad late afternoon. We found him in bed again, so I went to the talk to Becki, the nurse, because I wanted to find out what was going on. I was told they were only to get Kenn up 2 times per day, for 2 hours each. Which means if you figure that out, he's in bed for 20 hours out of 24. I almost lost it while talking to Becki. I also found out, he's had a couple of bed sores for about l-2 weeks, and I was never notified of it. I went to Kenn's room, and cried, because I just couldn't contain it any longer. Esther asked what was wrong, but I couldn't talk, I was so frustrated, and upset. Becki, had told me to keep him up as long as I wanted, because she didn't agree with him staying in bed so much either, but she had to follow orders. It took just over an hour for someone to get him up. Then when he was up, he seemed to be more sleepy, and during the visit he wasn't responding as much as he had the week just before. We took him outside, where he seemed to be watching Mason, and I play with the ball, in the grass. Esther held Desiree over by Kenn's face, and she batted at his nose, and face. He would shut his eyes, and maybe he had a slight smile. He wouldn't squeeze my hand like a week ago. I gave him a few spoons of water. He seemed to be acting more distant than he has been. I'm not sure if that's due to being by himself in his room, instead around people to stimulate his brain or what. He does need to be around people to keep his brain stimulated. I'm trying to keep my emotions under control while writing this. I talked to the head nurse yesterday about him being in his bed for 20 hours out of 24, but didn't seem to get any where with her. Supposedly it helps the bed sore to heal if the person is in bed, and supposedly laying with a pillow under them to keep them propped to one side alittle to stay off the back side. I told the head nurse that, he does have a special pillow in his chair just to help with any sores, if he should have them. Also, I said if they would keep him sitting up straight in his chair, instead of reclined, that would help. Also, if they would change him more often, because they think he might have gotten one from being wet too long. I told her that Dr. Ward has said, that a brain injured person needs to be around people to keep their mind stimulated. At the end of the conversation, she said they would take into consideration my concerns, which in my interpretation is forget you lady, because we are the professionals, and we know what works to heal the sores. She said she was sorry that I had not been contacted about the sores. Which in my book, is a lack of communication again. I just talked with Becki, now to find out if anything had changed with Kenn. She told me that she had them keep him up for 3 hours tonight, and out around people, because she knew I wanted that. I thanked her so much. She did tell me that they do have some others that are in bed about the same amount of time, that has sores, and it does work to get rid of them. I had quit a nice talk with Becki tonight. I told her to keep him up longer if she could work it out. I told her that I give her permission, which she was glad I gave, but she also said she had to be careful she didn't get in trouble for it. She told me to talk to the social worker, because she said nothing has changed since talking to the head nurse yesterday, except the treatment of the sore. Then from there, ask her who to talk to. I thanked Becki, so many times, because I really appreciate her help. Fri. we kept Kenn up from about 5p.m. till almost 9:30. Esther has said she try to go with me more often to visit him if I want to go during the day, so I guess that's what I 'll have to do. Tomorrow I guess I make a call to the social worker. I will write a letter requesting what I want if I need to. I will keep you posted as to what happens. I'm sure glad that God has all this under control, but it doesn' make dealing with the emotions any easier. Thanks for the continued prayers. God bless.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home