Thurs. Oct. 18, 2007
Hello to all of you who are still reading the updates. Our grandson, Mason is now 8 months, weighs in at 22lbs. 2 oz. and 30 inches long. Most people think he's a year old because of being so long. He started crawling on the 9th of this month and he pulled himself up to a standing position in his crib. He's been getting 6-7 teeth in just the last month. He is to be coming to town to visit me this weekend.
As for Kenn moving to St. Mary's Care Center they have told me they won't be able to take him now. Which made for a very disappointing and emotional day for me because it sounded like he would be moving there soon. I also checked out another place here in Madison and was told no too. So I guess it is a closed door for now to move Kenn to Madison so I will just have to suck it up and make the drive if I want to visit him. I think what is happening is they aren't that familiar with a brain injury and don't want to learn more about it. They have made a few changes in his care where he is in Juneau, which has helped. Sun. afternoon when I visited him he seemed to be more alert. He was moving his tongue more and he sat listening to Pastor Rod on a cassette, teaching on healing. He swallowed his water great. I took him for a walk through the tunnel that goes under the road between the 2 buildings and he seemed to be looking at the painted murals on the wall when we would stop and I would talk about them. Then Mon. night after my meeting across the street from him, I went to visit him and he was very alert. He turns to look at me when I'm standing on his right side talking to him. He was listening to me read Bible verses to him about healing. He was also moving his tongue and making a little noise in his throat. Mon. night his tongue looked great. He has had no storming or seizures for quit a few months now.
As for me, I'm planning to do a dance competition in Rockford, IL next month the weekend of Nov. 9 and 10. I've decided not to do a Cha-Cha routine because I'm having problems feeling comfortable doing the Cuban motion. I'm planning to do another Fox Trot, Waltz and Merengue, but we haven't come up with a routine as of yet. So I will be having 2 or 3 private lessons to get the routine down. I finally started going to the dentist after not going to one for over 7 years, but have no cavities. I had to have some gum work done now, which makes my mouth feel better. Most of the time it's busy here just like it probably is at your place. Thanks for reading this. I love to read your comments when you post them.
3 Comments:
Any time you need to lean on someone give me a call. You are a very strong woman!!!
Stu
By
Anonymous, at 4:12 PM
Thanks Stu. That would be great. I don't really feel that I'm as strong as people think. I really feel so inadequate in the way I'm dealing with things and like I'm not doing enough for Kenn. I don't have a number to reach you at. It would be so nice to have someone else to bounce some things off. Carol
By
kenn-winrich-support, at 11:13 PM
Carol, so when Kenn starts do manipulate his tongue and make noises, do you think he is trying to talk? If so, does the staff then work with him to encourage speech? Do they have a speech/language clinician aboard? I am just curious....
Sincerely,
Marianne Jensen
By
Anonymous, at 7:43 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home