Tues. July 17, 2007
Nothing yet as to a date to move Kenn to St. Mary's Care Center because they have certain steps that need to be completed first. When I was visiting Kenn on Sat. afternoon I was kissing him and he shut his mouth. I kept kissing him and he kept it shut. It was nice to have him do this. Last night I was across the street from him for the Support Meeting and it was another good meeting as usual. All the brain injured people that were there all agreed that they are doing more than they were last year. Some of them were in their early 20's and there was at least one that was in his 40's. Everyone there agreed it takes a long time to be able to do things and the older you are , it can take longer but you can recover, it just can take years. They also agreed it can be frustrating that it's not quicker. I went over to visit Kenn afterwards. I had asked them to have him up. I took him outside for a walk because it was so beautiful outside. He seemed to be looking around. We then went into the rec room and I cleaned out his mouth. When I was cleaning out his mouth I went to his right side and touched his cheek to let him know I was on the other side and to look over there. I kept talking to him and he shifted his eyes to look at me . It took a while but he did look. He is responding but it just takes longer than normal which is what the ones at the Support Meeting were saying. In reading over some of the information from the lawyer more than one witness say there was a big white semi truck that had stopped for the yellow light the day of the accident and they say the semi was probably blocking Kenn's view of seeing the truck that was coming that hit him, which makes sense. I also read a copy of the swallowing test dated 2/7/06 that states, patient can be given pleasure foods such as honey or pudding consistencies as long as they follow the guidelines given. Which no one is doing. It also states that he has a decreased risk of aspiration as long as the guidelines for feeding him is followed. I find the best time to give him something to swallow is just after cleaning out his mouth because he is more receptive. So I will keep working with him myself then. It's going to be very hard not going to visit Kenn this weekend but I'm getting more excited to do the dance competition. I've stepped up by dancing by having 2 private lessons last week and this week to prepare for the dances and to smooth out the rough edges. I won't be able to go visit Kenn until next week some time.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home