Monday, February 12, 2006
Well, it's been a year since Kenn's accident as of
Saturday the 11th. It's been a long and hard year
of so many unknowns. I'm so glad we usually don't
know ahead of time what is going to happen in our
lives. It has also been a very blessed year in different
ways. You never really stop to think how you are touching
the lives of people around you until something like Kenn's
accident happens and people show you how you have touched
their lives. It's so amazing to see and be a part of.
Never doubt the impact you have on other people whether
positive or negative.
On Saturday I received a card in the mail from one of Kenn's
relatives and started crying because it was so touching. It
was exactly what I needed to hear at the time. I want to thank
that person for sending it. Little did they know I would be
needing to hear that on the one year mark. Saturday late
morning was alittle emotional for me. But Saturday night was
a great night. I took my two granddaughters to the "Go Fish"
concert at MATC. We all loved it. It was geared so much
towards kids. The girls just loved it and I did too. They really
involve you in the concert. I tend to think that no concert can
top it in the girl's eyes. It made it a great night.
This last Thursday night and into Friday Kenn did neurostorm
alot. When I got there to visit him late Friday afternoon,
he was in bed and very sweaty. He was very alert for having been
given medication for it. I sat with him for awhile and then he
seemed to relax enough to start falling asleep. I talked to him
and he seemed to need that. They said he was fine until Sunday
morning when he started neurostorming again. I told them any
little thing can set it off such as a wrinkle in the sheet or
his shirt, etc. or even being wet or pain some where. I even
suggested having the Physical Therapist check his casts because
sometimes they seem to cause it.
On Sunday, late afternoon, when I got there he was
alittle warm but very alert sitting up in bed. I laid my head
against his cheeck for awhile. I could feel him relax his left
arm, which I was leaning against and when I lifted my head to look
at his eyes they were shut. I had to change my position after awhile.
He opened his eyes and then he started tensing up again. After
I had been there for awhile, they got him up in his chair. He
seemed to do better. I took him for a walk on the other floors and
sat talking to him. I could tell he was enjoying it. People have
asked how do you know he enjoys it. When you have been together for
so long like we have, for 32 years and been through the ups and downs
of marriage with its everyday things, it's just something I can feel
deep inside me. It's so hard to explain if you have never
experienced it. He used to tell me many times before his accident
that he didn't even need to talk to me that I could talk for him
because I knew most of the time what he was going to say. He
doesn't need to tell me that he loves me. I can see it in his
eyes when he looks at me and the nurses can see it too by the
way he responds to my voice when he hears it or when he sees me.
He started to fall asleep in his chair when he was getting his
feeding on Sunday evening, so I decided to leave because when his
feeding was done they were going to give him a shower. When I
called around midnight to see how he was doing the nurse told me
after his shower he seemed to relax more. When I called this
morning to see how he was doing they said he was doing good.
No more neurostorming. No one knows for sure what the
problem is when he neurostorms we can just guess. We can tell
something is wrong because he frowns more. Someone asked
where is he at this time. He is still in Juneau, at Clearview
South, Long Term Care and Rehab. He is waiting to be moved to
Portage when the time is right.
Carol
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home