Tuesday, January 10, 2006
I'm not sure where to begin, so much has been going on.
It's hard to collect my thoughts. Last Wednesday night
was the last time I was home until tonight. It feels so
good to be home for a change. I went to Juneau early Friday
evening and stayed at Clearview South in the room they call
the "Brass Room." It's a room that family can stay in overnight
and pay nothing. It's on the ground floor. I stayed
there Friday and Saturday night. It was nice to be right there
and not have to travel to see him. I talked to alot of nurses
taking care of him. So many nurses were glad to have me there
to inform them of what's been going on with Kenn and what kind
of care he needs.
Kenn got an older man for a roommate on Friday. When I got there
Friday early evening, Kenn was in bed. I asked the nurses if he
had been up during the day and they couldn't tell me, so they got
him up for me. I took him down to show him where I would be sleeping
the next two nights.
On Saturday he slept off and on. They get him up so much later in
the morning than when he was on the brain injury wing. The nurses
I've talked to agree Kenn, or anyone with a brain injury doesn't
belong in a nursing home. They have said they just can't give them
the individual care that they really need to recover because of
having so many others to care for. They also don't get the therapy
they still need.
On Sunday afternoon I started reading a book by Don Piper who had
also been in an accident. The book is called "90 Minutes in Heaven."
Kenn was listening very intently. Once in awhile he would frown. He
could relate to what I was reading I'm sure. Every once in awhile,
I would stop and talk about what I had just read to him. I could tell
he was listening. If he shut his eyes I would stop reading and then
he would open them as if to see why I stopped reading. He would look
at me alot when I was reading. A friend told me that what this Don Piper
had to overcome after his accident is faith building for Kenn to hear.
Kenn is experiencing some of the same things that Don went through.
Sunday afternoon I put the earpiece for my cell phone in Kenn's ear so
Esther could talk to her dad. Before she started talking to him, he had
his eyes shut. Just after she started talking he opened his eyes.
Then a few seconds later he frowned at what she was telling him. Then
shortly after that when she was still talking, he turned his head left
and looked at me.
Sometime during the weekend I told him to open his eyes and he did.
I came home on Sunday night and I went back on Monday afternoon to be
with him. On Monday he seemed more tired than he was on Sunday I
also cut his hair on Monday after they got him up from a rest period.
I came home Monday night. Today I met Kenn at Dr. Ward's office in
Middleton. They turned his dosage in his pump up. The doctor checked
out his right shoulder and arm. He recommended that Kenn have a test
called an "EMG." This will tell us if there is a pinched nerve in his
right shoulder or arm. This test will take place on Jan. 25 at the
U.W. Hospital Clinic. It will last about an hour and then he goes to
Dr. Ward's office to have his pump checked again and possibly turned
up. The nurse said that when Kenn got back from his doctors appointment
he was real tired so they put him in bed to rest. That is why I didn't
go to be with him tonight. He will be getting his feeding tube changed
sometime soon. He will be going to the Beaver Dam Hospital as an
oupatient for this procedure. I'm not sure when this is yet. I won't be
able to go visit him on Wednesday because I have to many things going on.
I am having a problem with Workman's Comp. They only want to pay for a
nursing home but not the group home for the brain injured where he
could recover. My Workman's Comp lawyer says I might have a hearing
to go to. I'm ready for the hearing if it's needed. I need guidance
and God's will in this. If anyone goes to visit Kenn make sure you
sign his visitor book in his window. He's on 2E wing 2nd floor and
room 236 in Clearview South building. Thanks for the continued
prayers.
Carol
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home