Kenn Winrich Information

Welcome

Kenn's family is grateful for the outpouring of care and concern for him, and appreciate your continued prayers.

 


Kenn and Carol at Don and Arlene's 50th wedding anniversary 2001

A Way You Can Bless Kenn's Family

For those of you who would like to help Kenn's family, and are able to bless them financially, there has been an account opened at Cuna Credit Union. Deposits can simply be made to:
 Kenn Winrich Accident Fund. Deposits can be dropped off or mailed to any one of the following locations:

  • Cuna Credit Union
    6420 Cottage Grove Rd.
    Madison, WI 53718

  • Cuna Credit Union (East)
    1799 Thierer Rd.
    Madison, WI 53704

  • Cuna Credit Union (West)
    401 S. Yellowstone Dr.
    Madison, WI 53719

  • Cuna Credit Union (Fitchburg)
    2939 S. Fish Hatchery Rd.
    Madison, WI 53711

- Click on Archives button below to see addtional articles. -

The speech therapist has set up an email address at
Clearview for Kenn.  She will check his email with him
at least once a week.

Anyone can send him pictures, jokes or just a message
to be read to him.  It is kenn@kenn-info.org

Talk to him about motorcycles and rides,
camping or even hiking.  Make sure you put your
first name and last so that when she reads it she
can tell him.

If you want to explain how you know
him that would be great.  Thanks.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Tuesday, November 29 update

Tuesday 11/29
This is the second time I've typed this update because when I tried
saving it, I lost it. I'm not sure where to start for an update. My
thoughts are so jumbled up and so much to think about. Last night
after getting home, I was so exhausted and drained. I had the meeting
at Clearview yesterday. The part of the meeting with the staff
lasted about an hour, then there were four of us at the table as well
as Esther on the speaker phone.
We were talking about nursing homes versus group homes. The director
was there from a group home I had toured awhile back and still
feels that they can handle taking care of Kenn, even with all of his
needs. I have been given a discharge date from Clearview of Jan. 5.
After Jan. 5, Kenn will have a new residence. The therapists feel
Kenn is not responding enough to therapy. I have a few things that
I need to iron out with Workermans Compensation, so pray for guidance
as to how to handle it and God's will. Some have asked if I have a
lawyer and I can now say yes. The lawyer has dealt with brain injury
cases and Workermans Comp.
At the meeting on Monday the nursing staff said Kenn's skin integrity is
great. The dentist that did his checkup has said his oral hygiene is
good. When the staff brush his teeth they use a suction toothbrush so
no water goes down his throat to his lungs. Sometimes they say he
really clenches his mouth tight so they can't brush his teeth and
either they have to try to get him to open it or wait till later to do
it. There's no mucus build-up in his mouth. He has a culture done
tomorrow to see if he's over the respiratory virus. He hasn't had
breathing treatments for a few days. He's got a strong cough which is
good. He stays in bed in the mornings alittle longer so he gets up
around 7. They have heard some moaning from him just like I have.
Sometimes it's before a cough but there's also alot of times there is
no cough. So maybe, he's trying to let people know he can make sounds
or that he's there. The Speech Therapist has said that when he moves
right now there is no need for speech therapy. Now if he starts to
respond more then he would need it. He has missed quite a few
sessions of the different therapies. The Physical Therapist has worked
with nursing staff to bend Kenn forward when he starts stiffening up.
This makes him bend his knees and seems to help. They used to put him
to bed, but this has worked better. Physical therapy works on pivitol
transfers with Kenn. They say he doesn't do any weight bearing during
transfers. They don't use any kind of table to help him stand because
his feet aren't flat when he stands and it would be uncomfortable for
him. They haven't seen as much active head movement in the last month
as he had been doing. There will be no serial casting done until he
gets his pump put in because it won't help much. Once the pump is in
then it will be resumed. He's not tracking as much as he did. More
sleepy in the last month during therapy than alert.
On Sun. afternoon when I visited him, I played some CD's on my portable
player he used to listen to and put headphones on him. He was moving
his tongue and bringing it to the inside of his lower lip. He would
make a noise with his mouth open and eyes open. During Elivis' song
"Blue Christmas," Kenn's lower lip was moving besides his tongue. When
the chorus of "Jingle Bells" came on, he opened his eyes and moved his
tongue some. After the chorus was over he shut his eyes as if dozing.
At times during a song he would make a sound and get louder. He was
laying in bed for a rest period when a played music for him. After
they got him up in his chair he was alert alot of the time. I sat
talking to him about some recipes I was looking at in my magazine.
Yesterday I did get new tires on my car in the morning. So now I can
drive and not feel like I might slide around if it snows. On Sunday Dec.
4, at Clearview from 2-4p.m they are having a Holiday Gathering for the
families and friends, so I will be there for that.
Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home