Tuesday, November 1 update
What a weekend. On Friday morning, 10/28, Kenn had a
small seizure they could not stop so they sent him to
the ER at the hospital in Beaver Dam. They checked his
dilantin level and it was low. They have upped his dosage
of dilantin and cut the number of times per day he gets it.
They told me he vomited and some went down to his lungs.
He was breathing fine when they decided to send him back
to Clearview about midmorning. I was not able to leave
immediately to be with him so I was updated by a nurse that
they were starting him on an antibody because they thought
he might have pneumonia. By midafternoon Kenn was having
breathing problems because of the stuff in his lungs.
They put him on oxygen and sat him up in bed. When Shawn,
a friend and I got there between 5 and 6 p.m. he was not
responding to me talking to him. I will admit I was scared.
He looked lethargic, but his eyes were open. The nurse came to
tell us an ambulance was on the way to get him and take
him back to the Beaver Dam Hospital. Kenn was sweating
because he was having difficulties breathing. He arrived at the
hospital before we did. He was in the ER. He was still sweating and
had a slight temperature. They hooked him up to monitors and tried
to make him comfortable. I continually used a wet washcloth to
wipe his face, neck and head to cool him down. He was so worked up.
I repeatedly encouraged him to relax. He was wide awake and very alert.
He was looking around the room some. They would also suction his mouth
and throat out. When I was talking to him he would raise his
left eyebrow to me, which is his way to communicate with me.
Our friend noticed how he was responding to me as well.
He was attracted to my red shirt. We were in ER for over 2 hours
and he was more alert and responsive than I have ever seen
since the accident. It was great to experience. I thank God that
I was able to be there with him and to see his response.
He was taken to ICU on 2nd floor to be monitored closely.
He was still awake. In his room in ICU, he looked around some.
A real nice nurse (whose name is Carol) explained to him the breathing
treatment she would be giving him.
He turned his head to the right where she was standing and
focused on her. Carol told me he does understand most of what is being
said to him because he relaxed after she had told him what was
happening. When the blood pressure sleeve was starting to tighten up
on his right arm she went over to tell him "remember we talked about
this being like a bear hug on your arm for about 2 minutes and then it
will let go". He then relaxed. It was so amazing to see how he was
responsding to her. When Shawn and I left it was after 10:30 p.m.
and he was still awake. He was awake over 4 hours at one time
which I have never seen. Usually he dozes off, but not this night.
I felt so blessed to be a part of this.
On Saturday he was more sleepy and didn't really respond like the night
before. He would open his eyes and get an upset look on his face every
so often. Between 5 and 6 p.m. he was moved out of ICU into a regular
room. They were, and still are, monitoring his stats. He sounded much
better by Saturday night. The nurse said his lungs sounded better too. On
Sunday morning some time after his tube feeding I was told he vomited
again. Once again he got some into his lungs. He was breathing
heavier and harder. His breathing was not raspy. They put an oxygen
mask on him which covered his mouth and nose just to help him breathe
easier and every 4 hours he is still getting a breathing treatment,
which he is tolerating better now. He had a few visitors on Sunday
afternoon. They are withholding his tube feedings since he vomited
on Sunday morning. He is still on IV.
On Monday they started him on 2 antibodies that is supposed to help get
rid of the kind of pneumonia he has. He sounded better and is
breathing easier. He is starting to sound raspy again and he is
coughing a little. They are also doing another treatment to help loosen
up the stuff in his lungs. Monday night after I got there I went on his
right side. I put my left hand on his face, he leaned against it and
dozed off. He seemed to be happy I was back with him again. He was
sweating alot, so I think he was neurostorming. He got agitated
when they had to change his bed sheets and gown. He seems to be
responding to the medications. His lungs still sound coarse but
he does look better. Please keep praying for life and healing in his body.
Someone mentioned he just wanted to have me around him, since he had me
for 24 hours last Tuesday and Wednesday. I told Kenn he could just have
asked me instead. He is recovering at his own rate. I also keep
telling him that he is still the only one for me and he's still good
looking the way he is. The look he gives me is priceless. I am so
blessed even though all of this is going on.
Carol
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home