Monday, May 9 Update
Not much of a change.
Thursday night, the 5th, Esther went to see her dad and she
called me on her cell.
I talked to Kenn, and every so often she would tell me he was
smiling a little. "He raised his eyebrow at you." She said
she couldn't get him to respond to her when she
talked to him, like he did when I was talking to him on the
phone.
Then on Saturday night, I talked to him again on her phone.
She said after I said goodbye, and she was talking to me, he
started to get upset. She said it was as if he could tell
she was still talking to me. She told me he was upset and I had
her put him back on the phone. I talked to him again and he
calmed down. Then I told him I would try to get there to see
him the following day. Then he was ok.
On Sunday late afternoon, I took him for a walk down the trail
near Clearview. They had put sunscreen on him and his hat.
I had an extra pair of sunglasses in my car so I put them on him
so he could see without it being so bright. He kept his eyes open
all the time during the walk.
I told him, hear someone mowing their lawn and there's kids playing
on a big mound of dirt. He seemed to really enjoy the ride in
his wheelchair down the path. After we got back to the building,
I sat outside with him and he fell asleep for awhile.
The nurses are seeing him responding more even to them.
He's trying to move his mouth once in awhile as if trying to answer the
question. Some days he focuses better than others.
He really perks up when he hears someone talking about motorcycles.
Everyone at Clearview seems to enjoy working with him.
They seem amazed how much we have been there to visit him.
From what we have observed, he may not have short term memory but
he might have long term memory. We don't know until he can talk.
Esther put together a photo album of pictures to keep in his room.
The nurses working with him really enjoy seeing it.
They also enjoy the pictures that are up in his room with little
captions so they can get to know him, family and friends better.
-Carol
1 Comments:
Wow, Carol. An uplifting, positive message. I am guessing that Kenn can be wheeled out to the parking lot to see and hear a motorcycle...if so, Bob and I will plan on a ride up to Juneau within the next month. Our Harley-Davidson Road King has a distinct bark that should bring a hint of delight to Kenn. We'll let you know when we can do this. Hang in there, Babe. You and your family are doing amazing things.
Love, Marianne and Bob Jensen
By
Anonymous, at 9:25 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home